We found out the well water where we rent a home is unsafe to drink or cook with. What legal options do we have?

Asked on Oct 03rd, 2013 on General Practice - South Carolina
More details to this question:
We live in SC and are renting a home. We just found out the week after renting for over a year that the well water is unsafe to drink or cook with. What legal options do we have as far as any rent payment reimbursements due to the negilience of the owner and the property management company? Apparently the property management did not even have the water tested.
Answered on Oct 03rd, 2013 at 9:05 PM
This answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.  If you were not physically harmed by the water, you have no case.  You may inform the property management company that either they will fix this problem, you wish to get out of the lease.  As long as you are living there, you are responsible for paying the rent.  The S.C. Landlord Tenant Act states that the property must be habitable.  Bad water makes the property uninhabitable.  Either they must fix the problem or you have the right to report them to the building authorities.  Personally, I would hire a lawyer, but that is up to you.  I am a S.C. lawyer and board certified internist. Regards, I am Michael G. Sribnick, M.D., J.D. Attorney at Law Owner of Michael G. Sribnick, M.D., J.D., LLC
Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters